Skip to main content

Digital natives vs. digital fluency

I think digital natives are a real thing, but all digital natives are not fluent. The term native reminds me of the process that babies use to acquire language.  A person is said to be a native speaker when they grow up surrounded by the language that is "native" to them. They grow up hearing their parents use the language and that's how they develop their proficiency. Some kids grow up with an amazing vocabulary and some students enter school at a deficit.

Digital literacy is the same. Some students grow up in households where they are surrounded by laptops, phones, reliable internet and online tools that are being used consistently and effectively. But some kids grow up in a house where they don't have those things, or where they don't see these tools put to effective use. Those students are, by definition, digital natives. But are they digitally fluent? Nope. Just because you know how to scroll through TikTok or Instagram, doesn't mean you can navigate online effectively.

As educators we need to focus on a students digital fluency rather than focus on when they were born. That means nothing. Every year I have a least one student who doesn't realize that you can hit shift to make a letter capital. They don't know how to save a file, much less share it with me. They have 200 documents that start with C because they don't understand that when you make a copy of something in google drive, you should change the name so that doesn't happen. Or, they make 4 copies of the same document because they can't find it. Schools should focus on making students digitally fluent. We need to teach the skills that help students use online tools effectively. 

Comments

  1. I very much agree with your thoughts here! Just like it is important to consider and assess the content knowledge students may have coming in to a class, it is equally important to consider and assess the technological knowledge students may have coming in to a class where technological use is expected. Teachers absolutely cannot assume that students are either fluent or not fluent in technology based off of a characteristic like age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very interesting! I love your example of language. My first language is Spanish, but am I proficient in it? Ehh I wouldn't say so, but someone who know how to speak Spanish, but isn't native, would say yes! You made great points about focusing on digital fluency. I have students who have been surrounded by internet their entire lives. They don't understand how email works. It's pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great point, Tired Teacher. This reminds me of the Affordable Connectivity Program that recently got initiated, to offer low-cost and discounted internet services to the greater population and places of remote connectivity. About 20 internet service providers are offering better prices for lower income population... this seems quite late in the world of internet... however, better than never!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, better late than never. Affordable internet is not longer a luxury, it is a necessity. My school provides every student with a device, but if you can't use it outside of the classroom, then it is of very little use.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

But I Want It Now!!

  I have been struggling with our upcoming knowledge sharing assignment. I think the problem is that I have too many big ideas. I want my students to all have access to the internet. I want my kids to all be fluent. I want them to know how to do all the things. In an ideal world, I would be able to go into my classroom on day one and incorporate every tool that we learned about in this class. I want all of these thing and I want them right now! Here's the problem. I have to do the work. If I want my big ideas to work, I have to start small. The problem is that small sometimes feels too small. I always want to put my spin on it, to try and make it my own. For me, curating and sharing the content of other people feels a little dishonest. Even when you give credit, someone is getting the idea from you and they might attribute it to you. I am much more comfortable sharing something verbally, than I am sharing something in a online space.  I am starting to understand that sharing c...

Think Big!!!

  Full transparency I thought this produsage assignment would be a piece of cake. After all this is what I do. I have written thousands of lesson plans over the past 27 years. What actually happened, I got a really good wake up call about how teaching and instructional design are not the same. Let me explain. Good teachers think small. They write lessons that are tailor made for the students who are sitting in front of them that year (or class period). The idea of knowing your kids and creating an assignment that is tailor made for them is the goal. The ideal.  When I started the produsage assignment I approached it from this direction. What will the sixth graders that I have in my class this year be able to do? What do I want to accomplish with them? What I have come to realize that instructional designers think BIG ! It's not about what you need for just a few kids who you see everyday. Instructional designers create lessons on a much larger scale. The lessons you create nee...

Social Media In Class! How Does That Work?

The Networked Knowledge Activities Framework (NKA) will be useful to educators who are trying to find ways to incorporate social media sites into the formal classroom environment. The framework outlines six activities that users participate in while they are participating in online activities. Online users collect, curate, share, broker, negotiate, and construct knowledge using the information they find on the internet. Collection refers to the process of saving a link for an item so it can be found and used later. Users curate information by creating organized collections of online artifacts. Users share informations that has been collected or curated in an online forum. These activities and their descriptions provide educators with a starting point when they are attempting to embed social networking sites into classroom activities. Brokers act as agents between networks of people. Learners negotiate to come up with shared meaning and understanding. Finally some learners ...